Organization Profile: Founded in 1991, ICV is a non-profit organization located in the Mato Grosso state in Brazil, with a focus on the sustainable use of natural resources considering justice and social equity. We work with partners at different scales to build strategies of sustainability for the use of land and natural resources in the state. These strategies comprise research and data analysis, field experiences, local engagement and development, always seeking the effective participation of the people in their territories.
City: Alta Floresta, MT, Brazil
Internship Department: Social Business Program & Territorial Intelligence Lab
Department Profile: The program works to create arrangements for the socioeconomic and environmental viability of family farming enterprises, connecting them to the local demand for food of quality.
*** These arrangements involve articulated actions in 4 strategic areas:
- Organic and agroforestry production
- Trading Platform
- Participatory Organic Certification
- Community and family enterprises
Work description: The project called “Redes Socioprodutivas” (productive networks) funded by the Amazon Fund of the Brazilian National Development Bank (BNDES) aims to generate economic and social incentives for sustainable chains that contribute to the conservation of the Amazonian biome. The project partner with 18 smallholders’ organizations in 6 municipalities of the North and Northwest of the State of Mato Grosso by supporting the sustainable value chain development of 6 chains including: Cocoa, Babaçu (Attalea speciosa), Brazil Nut, Vegetables and fruits, Coffee and Milk.
@@Position 1: Business Administration/ Management Science and Engineer:
- Analysis of costs and revenue from conventional vs. organic production in the north and northwest of MT (plus environmental externalities), and costs for organic transition of farming systems;
- Participatory development of a tool for operational control of the harvesting, storage, distribution process, to guarantee reliable information about all activities and resources flow;
- Assessment of the coffee production process of a community association, monitoring the operation to assess yield, production capacity and areas of improvement;
- Development of tools to connect suppliers, retailers, wholesalers, and consumers at local level
- Spatial planning of forest restoration for ecological corridors
- Forest restoration monitoring using drones
- Occurrence modeling of Brazilian nuts
- Mapping the diversity of coffee production, such as a survey of cultivated clone varieties, average yield, resistant variety and disease incidence;
Number of Opening(s): 2 (1 each team)
Work Hours and Internship Start/End Dates: (Monday to Friday, June
22 –August 14, 2020): 8 hours per day, to be arranged according to the working plan.
Work Attire: Casual
Local Language: Portuguese
+ Environmental Science (with GIS expertise): Basic reading, writing and speaking (one-year level at Stanford)
+ Business Administration /Management Science and Engineer: Intermediate reading, writing, and speaking (two-year level at the Stanford)
Eligibility and Requirements:
Applicants must be currently enrolled freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, and coterms who are undergraduates in all majors, including undeclared. Coterm students must still have undergraduate status.
Applicants must be current Stanford students during the internship period. Seniors must postpone graduation paperwork until the internship ends, but may participate in commencement. For summer graduation requirements, including details regarding enrollment requirements and information about participation in the June commencement ceremonies, students should contact their major department's student services office and Registrar's Office for graduation quarter petition.
Preferably, before beginning their internships, selected candidates should have taken at least one course regarding the internship region. The course can be taken in the spring quarter.
For more internship positions provided by the Stanford Global Studies Internship Program, please see our internship listing.