This opportunity does not have a specified deadline.
What is CSWS?
The Community Service Work-Study (CSWS) Program provides academic year and summer employment opportunities for currently enrolled students who receive financial aid at Stanford. It allows them to combine the financial need to work with the personal goal of helping the community.
Eligible students have the freedom to design a service experience in collaboration with a partnering organization. Placements during the academic year are on campus or in the local community. Summer placements can be at qualified organizations anywhere in the United States.
CSWS is a federally-supported program, co-administered for Stanford by the Haas Center and the Financial Aid Office.
You can learn more about the CSWS Program on our website here.
The CSWS Summer Program runs through the summer unless a different schedule is approved by the CSWS Program (please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details).
June 19--Sept 15, 2023.
*This may be subject to change depending on your Financial Aid package/enrolled units.
Early Application Deadline: Friday, February 10
Regular Deadline: Friday, April 8
How to Apply
Find a nonprofit organization that you would like to work with, reach out to them, and identify an on-site supervisor. Once you and your supervisor come to an agreement about your job offer, complete the Student Application on your SOLO account. After completing your Student Application, you must send a "Recommendation Form" to your on-site supervisor, and they will complete their Partner Organization Application. On SOLO, you will be able to see when your supervisor submits a completed Partner Organization Application. Only completed applications are considered.
For additional help, contact one of our CSWS Peer Advisors:
Here is a link to reach one of our Peer Advisors that can help you with the application process, finding a nonprofit organization, and everything CSWS-related.
Eligibility and Requirements:
How does it work?
All work-study students are employed through Stanford University. The federal government and Stanford University cover 90% of the student's wages and benefits upfront, and the community organization contributes the remaining 10% of the wages after the completion of the summer program. The Financial Aid Office determines eligibility and the maximum earnings each student is allowed per quarter during the academic year. The 2022 Summer program wage was set at $21.00/hr and $7,000 /qtr, and the wage for Summer 2023 is subject to change.
Am I eligible?
Currently enrolled undergraduate students who have a financial aid package may qualify for CSWS, with the following exceptions:
International students are not eligible.
Seniors who are graduating from Stanford are not eligible the summer after their senior year.
REQUIRED: An Authorization email from the Financial Aid Office that indicates your eligibility for the CSWS program is required to participate in the CSWS Summer Program. The Financial Aid Office Authorization portal for Summer program may not be available until March 2023. Please send an email to May Thin at email@example.com to check your eligibility and receive your authorization email. You must complete your 2023-24 FAFSA to be eligible. Complete this request formto verify your work-study eligibility from the Financial Aid Office.