Stanford offers a bounty of Experiential Learning Opportunities (ELOs) for undergraduate students, graduate students and postdocs to get fieldwork experience, travel the world and apply classroom learning to real world challenges.
These include internships, public service, research opportunities and much more. Stanford On & Off-campus Learning Opportunities is where you can discover and apply to most of these opportunities.
- Explore ELOs offered by hundreds of campus research centers, institutes, programs, departments and other units.
- Subscribe to get notified when new opportunities get announced and always be in the know about the latest.
- Apply for opportunities and get selected to participate in an ELO!
- SOLO makes it easy for you to apply: your Stanford record auto-populates on any application you start so you don’t have to retype information already entered elsewhere.
- SOLO will send you reminders for items you need to complete such as applications, pre-travel checklists, etc.
Subscribe to immediate notifications or a weekly digest:
- SOLO provides a feature-complete site to help you manage the entire life cycle of matching learning opportunities with students including announcing opportunities widely, collecting applications, managing review and selection processes, awarding, preparing students for travel or for an experience, reporting and collaborating with colleagues in your units or other Stanford units (I’d like to Become a Program Officer on SOLO).
- By using SOLO you help our university democratize access to all opportunities for all students and you help our university get better data so we can best serve our students.
- Applicants never have to fill out basic info, their student record auto-populates on applications.
- SOLO makes it easier for faculty to participate in review and provide recommendation letters.
- SOLO was developed internally, is wholly owned and operated by Stanford AND we are continuously working to improve the site to further tailor it to your needs. If you have ideas on how to make it better, we offer a number of ways you can share them with us and participate (email us at email@example.com).
- SOLO removes the need for staff to re-invent the wheel about how to collect applications every year.
- One less standalone system to maintain and have to worry about.
Apply to become a Program Officer and post your opportunities on SOLO:
What's not on SOLO?
- Course listings (obviously!): these have always been on the Stanford Bulletin. Visit the newly revamped Stanford Bulletin.
- Opportunities related to student career aspirations and interests: visit Handshake.
- Short-term, real-world, experiential projects supported by alumni, families, and other Stanford affiliates: visit the SAM Projects platform.
- For more information on the unique purposes of each of these experiential learning platforms, visit XPHub. You will also find a list of program offerings across campus and self-paced resources for career/personal brand building on XPHub.
- A few opportunities from programs and other units that do not know this site exists yet. Help us help you find everything on SOLO by pointing them to this page or
let us know.